I have the most amazing co-workers (hereon known as "cw(s)"). I'm not sure what I did to deserve to be working with them or how I got so lucky but I can assure you it's one thing in my life that I know I don't take for granted.
Last night, cw, KK and her parents threw a Holiday Party and it was the first time that I really didn't hesitate to say yes to going. I'm not a party person, never have been. I always feel awkward and a little anxious in social situations. As I've gotten older, however, I've begun realizing that it's worse in situations with familiar people. My confidence is much higher when there are strangers around. (Does that mean I've been working retail too long?) I knew KK's parents were expecting a lot of their friends so I was pretty sure I'd be okay.
After finishing my 8-hr-last-Saturday-before-Christmas-with-only-one-break-squeezed-in shift, the thought of a glass of wine and good conversation (and perhaps a comfy chair) was exactly what I was in the mood for. I changed my clothes, freshened up and headed the few miles over to KK's parents' amazing house. Set back from the road in a nicely wooded neighborhood, their house is everything I've always wanted in a house. Private, large and open, and yet still unbelievably cozy.
I was so happy to arrive at the same time as one of my favorite, yet rarely seen, cws, KR. We greeted our hosts, toured the house and quickly settled onto the couch in front of the fire with our wine to begin our catching up. It's amazing how fast you can fall right back in step with people especially ones you haven't seen in a while. After a couple glasses of wine, wonderful conversation and some unbelievably tasty hors d'ouvres (thanks, JK for labeling the veg ones for me!! So sweet!) some of my other fav cws started arriving.
I already stated above that I don't get out much. But I'm also starting to see how important it is for me to do more things with the people I like to be with. In just around 3 hrs time, I had more fun and was more relaxed than I have been in well sadly, a very long time. The fact that I can't remember when I've enjoyed people's company in so long or even the last time I laughed so hard is sad.
By the time I left, my mood was sky high and I was almost dreading the lonesome drive home. The time gave me a chance to mull over just what it is that makes these people so special to me. Surely not all cws get along so well, right? We all have commonalities, of course. We voluntarily work in a low-paying, high traffic retail store. I guess in a sense that makes us all people...err...people. We all love books, love to read and share our knowledge, etc. And sure, there are plenty of my cws that I have no real interest in hanging out with. So why is it that there are certain ones that I just can't spend ENOUGH time with? I guess it's b/c I need them. They enrich my life in their own special ways. The more time I spend with KK, the more she feels like another sister to me. My week would not, and I mean, would NOT be complete without a shift with BD and her personality that so mirrors my own that I literally can see myself in her in 30 yrs. KR provides me with so much insight on life and her relationship with her husband is enviable. MK, always good for a long laugh and TK for bringing us all back to down to earth with her perspective on life and kind words and sage advice.
Again, I must admit how amazed I am to have such unbelievable cw friends. Maybe it's karma that I suffered through years of shitty jobs and am now being rewarded. Maybe it's divine intervention that allows me to willingly get up at 5:30 a.m., drive 45 minutes in the dark just so I can spend time in a place I love with people I can't live without. I don't really care who or what is the reason. I just hope I'm worthy.
So, all I can really think to say is,friends, keep the invitations coming. I promise to accept. I'll even bring the wine.
i love reading your blog and seeing where you find joy in your every day life. xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteWow. This one made me really miss work. My life feels very lonely without all of my BN crew and their lovely vibes.
ReplyDelete