Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It's About Time

This article just made my day. Seriously, it's about time. It never ceases to appall me (and yes, I feel THAT strongly about it) that restaurants think so little of kids' palates. It's always the same fare at each place: cheeseburger, grilled cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese (and it's usually boxed mac and cheese at that. Really? Can't even boil some noodles and add real cheese, people?). Oh sure, they throw in sides of fruit and steamed veggies in with the french fries and chocolate milk, soda, or heavily sweetened fruit juice. But why can't the MAIN part of the meal be healthier? Mike and I are very fortunate that we actually have a child who opts for the fruit or broccoli side dish (and no, we don't have to prompt him, beg him or bribe). And frankly, the portions are usually triple the size they need to be for a child anyway. Mike and I usually end up sharing our meals with G because even he gets sick of grilled cheese. I'm not saying there needs to be kid sized versions of the adult menus, though a modified version of such a thing would be nice. But would it really be that much more expensive for restaurants to expand their kids' menus a little? Maybe include a few more non-cheesy vegetarian options?

No comments:

Post a Comment